Fed up with GOP secrecy on Obamacare repeal, Rand Paul introduces ‘Read the Bills’ resolution

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
fed-up-with-gop-secrecy-on-obamacare-repeal-rand-paul-introduces-read-the-bills-resolution

Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul introduced a Senate resolution called “Read the Bills” Wednesday that would require every bill or amendment to be filed for a minimum of one day for every 20 pages before they can be considered by the upper chamber.

“Enough with rushed, secret legislation! Today I reintroduced my Read the Bills resolution,” Paul tweeted Wednesday.

The purpose of the resolution, according to Paul, is to make sure that his fellow senators have ample time to review bills before they can be voted on. The resolution would allow the Senate to waive the minimum time requirement only with “an affirmative vote of three-fifths of the members.”

Paul said his resolution stemmed from what he considered the GOP leadership’s secrecy about the Senate’s bill to repeal and replace Obamacare before it was released on Thursday.

“Legislation is too often shoved through Congress without proper hearings, amendments, or debate, as the secrecy surrounding the Senate’s health care bill and the pressure to vote for it with little time to fully evaluate the proposal once again remind us,” Paul said in a news release. “If we are to answer to the American people, it is imperative we pay close attention to the legislation we pass.

“I stand by my pledge to increase transparency and accessibility in the U.S. Senate,” Paul said, “and my resolution will give members ample time to read all legislation before they vote.”

________

Read first, pass later.