Coffee Shop

Rheo

Right now, a brokered convention looks good.

Michael Steele is saying a 50-50 possibility. Guess that covers it. :D

That's our Michael! Standing firmly on both sides.

I know the Dems when they go to bed dream of this.

I think either Santorum or Gingrich will get out after Fla.

But I could be wrong.

freddoso freddoso

Ron Paul notes that he will not be competing in Fla.

Bummer. ;)

Strange. What's after Fla? I know the MN. caucuses are Feb 3

They may actually mean something!! Cool.

January 31, 2012 Florida (primary)

February 4, 2012 Nevada (caucus)

February 4–11, 2012 Maine (caucus)

February 7, 2012 Colorado (caucus)

Minnesota (caucus)

Missouri (primary) – *See note below on Missouri

February 28, 2012 Arizona (primary)

Michigan (primary)

March 3, 2012 Washington (caucus)

March 6, 2012

(Super Tuesday) Alaska (caucus)

Georgia (primary)

Idaho (caucus)

Massachusetts (primary)

North Dakota (caucus)

Ohio (primary)

Oklahoma (primary)

Tennessee (primary)

Vermont (primary)

Virginia (primary)

2012 Election Central

Conventional wisdom (ie inside the Beltway) says that Newt is unelectable because of his baggage. The results from South Carolina indicate that isn't true. If he does well in Florida, he's going to have real momentum. The next burst of conventional wisdom will be that nobody but Republicans will vote for him and that all the independents will vote for Obama. Well McCain was selected on the assumption that he'd carry the independent vote. That didn't really happen. More importantly, he couldn't even light a fire in the Republican party. McCain won the 2008 SC primary with 33% over Huckabee with 30%. McCain received 147,733 total votes. Currently Newt is winning with 41% over Romney's 27% and with about 70% of precincts reporting Newt has already received 175,000 votes.

The Republican candidate who can light a fire among Republicans will defeat Obama. South Carolina indicates that Newt has the ability to light a fire among Republicans. Certainly more than anyone else running and apparently more than McCain. This is a long way of saying, I think a brokered convention isn't going to happen. Despite (in spite of) conventional wisdom, I think Newt is going to drag his baggage into being the Republican nominee and then into the White House.

The Republican candidate who can light a fire among Republicans will defeat Obama.

Yep. Newt is doing a good job of that. Taking on the media stokes it.

Conventional wisdom (ie inside the Beltway) says that Newt is unelectable because of his baggage. The results from South Carolina indicate that isn't true. If he does well in Florida, he's going to have real momentum. The next burst of conventional wisdom will be that nobody but Republicans will vote for him and that all the independents will vote for Obama. Well McCain was selected on the assumption that he'd carry the independent vote. That didn't really happen. More importantly, he couldn't even light a fire in the Republican party. McCain won the 2008 SC primary with 33% over Huckabee with 30%. McCain received 147,733 total votes. Currently Newt is winning with 41% over Romney's 27% and with about 70% of precincts reporting Newt has already received 175,000 votes.

The Republican candidate who can light a fire among Republicans will defeat Obama. South Carolina indicates that Newt has the ability to light a fire among Republicans. Certainly more than anyone else running and apparently more than McCain. This is a long way of saying, I think a brokered convention isn't going to happen. Despite (in spite of) conventional wisdom, I think Newt is going to drag his baggage into being the Republican nominee and then into the White House.

Reply 32

I was listening to Fred Barnes and something he was saying Romney has not put out any big ideas. So a question, has he given people a reason to vote for him, as opposed to a vote against another candidate or he's inevitable?

Here's the thing and I grant you this is purely emotional, he just doesn't get my gitter going. He has not made me want to go out and work for him.

My glitter isn't a moving either. He hasn't put out any great ideas and it feels like the McCain thing of it is his turn.

I'll vote for him if it goes that way, but not with a lot of enthusiasm.

I was listening to Fred Barnes and something he was saying Romney has not put out any big ideas. So a question, has he given people a reason to vote for him, as opposed to a vote against another candidate or he's inevitable?

Here's the thing and I grant you this is purely emotional, he just doesn't get my gitter going. He has not made me want to go out and work for him.

He reminds me a lot of John Kerry. Too smooth, too polished, too political. I saw a picture of Romney doing his laundry today. The first thought I had was when Kerry went into the drug store in Nebraska (or somewhere) and said "can I git me a huntin' license." I listened to a bit of Larry Kudlow today who is a solid Romney supporter. He said Romney needs to say something like "hell yes I'm rich. So rich that I can't be bought or bribed." I do think I'd appreciate that tack a little more. Trumpet who are and explain why that makes you a good candidate. Don't try to be something you aren't. It just doesn't work.

He reminds me a lot of John Kerry. Too smooth, too polished, too political. I saw a picture of Romney doing his laundry today. The first thought I had was when Kerry went into the drug store in Nebraska (or somewhere) and said "can I git me a huntin' license." I listened to a bit of Larry Kudlow today who is a solid Romney supporter. He said Romney needs to say something like "hell yes I'm rich. So rich that I can't be bought or bribed." I do think I'd appreciate that tack a little more. Trumpet who are and explain why that makes you a good candidate. Don't try to be something you aren't. It just doesn't work.

YUP!

BreakingNews Breaking News

Gingrich at SC victory speech: "President Obama is a president so weak that he makes Jimmy Carter looks strong.''

Newt actually gave Mitt a great opening in the debate to talk about Bain and venture capitalism vs crony and he didn't take it.

My glitter isn't a moving either. He hasn't put out any great ideas and it feels like the McCain thing of it is his turn.

I'll vote for him if it goes that way, but not with a lot of enthusiasm.

I posted this over at CGP

"Fla. is crucial for Romney. He has to win it, and if he doesn't win it by a large margin, he's in trouble. If he wins it by 2-4% he's still in trouble.

Here's the thing He started this campaign day day after he dropped out in 08. He's got a ton on money, a really good organization, the backing of a large pert of the GOP establishment (see his endorsements) , he should not be in this situation, looking at it coldly. Why is he? because a large part of the has real problems with him (Romneycare), and a large part of the base is looking for someone who will fight, and a there are those who are afraid he is another Bob Dole, John McCain, type candidate. He has got to answer these questions (close the deal) or even if he does win the nomination.....?

Can he do it? For his sake I hope so....but he is who he is and that's who he is."

As Valin said...Yup.

Tingles says "The One" is center left. The sad thing is given the modern Democratic party he nay very well be correct.

Oh and Newt is an evil ultra radical right wing extremest hater..but you knew that.

Joe Paterno has died.

He has not died. False report that was picked up by the media.

My apologies.

Update: OnwardState.com managing editor resigns over website's erroneous report on Joe Paterno

Joe Paterno has died.

My apologies.

Update: OnwardState.com managing editor resigns over website's erroneous report on Joe Paterno

Please don't resign. It's not that big a deal.

Joe Paterno has died.

My apologies.

Please don't resign. It's not that big a deal.

A. I agree he shouldn't.

B. That he is shows to me something rarely found in editors, Character!