Ohio Democrats, President Obama gang up on John Boehner

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
39238.html
Politico:

For the second time this year, Ohio Democrats unleashed on House Minority Leader John Boehner, calling their fellow Buckeye an “un-American” country-club Republican who is out of touch with mainstream Americans.

This time, they were seizing on Boehner telling a Pittsburgh newspaper that he would push the Social Security age to 70 — even though House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) has also signaled openness to raising the retirement age.

Rep. Marcy Kaptur, the dean of the Ohio delegation, said that Boehner’s proposal to cut Social Security to pay for the war in Afghanistan is “callous, outrageous and frankly un-American.” Rep. Tim Ryan said the people that would be affected by Boehner’s Social Security plan are “people who work for a living with their hands, not that wear ties and suits and nice dresses and jewelry and play golf and hang out.”

Ohio Democratic Rep. Zack Space said that if “the Boehner plan” went into effect, the elderly would be “cleaning toilets, stocking shelves, serving French fries.”

“We as Buckeyes do not stand with him, and it shows how out of touch he and his party are with the rank and file,” Kaptur said.

Even President Barack Obama ganged up on Boehner on Wednesday during a trip to Racine, Wis., mocking Boehner’s comments about the financial crisis of 2008.

"The leader of the Republicans in the House said that financial reform was like — and I'm quoting here — using a nuclear weapon to target an ant," Obama says, referring to Boehner comments in a Pittsburgh paper on Tuesday. "That’s what he said. He compared the financial crisis to an ant. This is the same financial crisis that led to the loss of nearly 8 million jobs, the same crisis that cost people their homes, their life savings.”

Boehner was fierce in his response to the critics.

“Last week, in a widely reported speech, Majority Leader Hoyer endorsed raising the Social Security retirement age,” Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said. “Does Rep. Kaptur believe Hoyer is ‘callous, outrageous, and un-American’? Does Rep. Ryan object to Rep. Hoyer wearing a suit and tie? Does Rep. [steve] Driehaus believe his majority leader is out of touch? Does Rep. Space believe that Hoyer wants the elderly to clean toilets, stock shelves, or serve French fries?”

The last Ohio delegation kerfuffle came on tax day, when Democrats also ganged up on Boehner.

Driehaus (D-Ohio) had the most fire reserved for Boehner. Driehaus and Boehner’s spat goes back a few months, to when the Republican said that Driehaus would be a “dead man” in his district if he voted for health care overhaul legislation.

The Republican leader’s comments about Social Security show “how out of touch Mr. Boehner is with the average Ohioan,” Driehaus said.

“You know, when your point of reference is the manicured greens of country clubs, I can understand how he might not understand the suffering going on of average Ohioans across the state,” Driehaus said.
________

Raising the retirment age? Oh, the horror!

For Spaceman's information, many of the elderly are already serving french fries, thanks to the economy.

Yet another reason to look forward to the day when Boehner might be Speaker of the House.

70 would bee the age for full retirement benefits under Social Security, the early retirement age would remain at 62. In truth, it is not that big of an increase......my curent projected full retirement age is already at 67 years and 4 months.

Social Security was never meant to be the sole vehicle of retirement income, anyway, merely a supplement. Anyone who has lived in this country and depended on the government to provide are fools. It's been known for years that the Social Security system is in danger of collapse. I, for one, have doubted that I would every collect anything from the system, and have provided for my retirement with that in mind.