Nikki Haley goes from small-time agitator to credible candidate for S.C. governor

NCTexan

PH2010061106301.jpgWaPo:

Nikki Haley goes from small-time agitator to credible candidate for S.C. governor

By Philip Rucker

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, June 12, 2010

WEST COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Nikki Haley, the would-be Republican governor of South Carolina, has met many well-known people lately who want to be her friend. One of them is Sarah Palin, who enthusiastically endorsed her. Another is Mitt Romney, who is coming down here next week to try to persuade voters to back her in the June 22 runoff that will decide the GOP nominee. All this friendly attention is something new for Haley. Until a few months ago, she had succeeded in politics in part by choosing the right enemies.

As a state legislator, Haley made herself one of the least popular politicians in the Capitol by introducing a bill that would require elected officials to disclose publicly how they vote on legislation. South Carolina is one of the few states that let lawmakers do so in secret. This allows them the luxury of voting, pain-free, to give themselves perks, such as the generous retirement benefits they approved in 2008.

"I was disgusted," Haley said. "That was an arrogance that I just wasn't going to stand for. It was an embarrassing moment for the Republican Party. And I knew I had to fix it."

There may have been more than an element of calculation in her effort. She traveled all over the state slamming fellow Republicans for their lack of transparency, and drawing plenty of attention to herself along the way. She argued for term limits and tougher financial disclosure rules. When, as payback, House leaders stripped Haley of her subcommittee chairmanship, she drew the notice of "tea party" activists looking for an anti-establishment candidate for governor. She finished far ahead of her three Republican rivals, winning 49 percent of the vote, and is the favorite in the runoff against Rep. J. Gresham Barrett. snip

=============================

Not a bad article but the bias and tone deaf ear of the headline editor is amazing.

How about "Barack Obama goes from Southside Chicago street agitator to the White House". :blink:

No story there... nothing to see... keep moving.

H/T NewsBusters

[article=http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2010/06/11/PH2010061106301.jpg]WaPo:

Not a bad article but the bias and tin ear of the headline editor is amazing.

How about "Barack Obama goes from Southside Chicago street agitator to the White House". :blink:

No story there... nothing to see... keep moving.

I hope you are not comparing Nikki Haley with....

st-obama-of-assisi.jpg

THE ONE

I hope you are not comparing Nikki Haley with....

Now that you mention it... there might be something there. :D