News From an Alternative Universe

Valin

Power Line

John Hinderaker

October 21, 2024

If you wonder how so many people can be blissfully ignorant of what you and I consider basic factual realities, the answer likely is that they are getting their information, not just from sources that disagree with us, but that seem to be living in another galaxy. Take, for example, the stories highlighted in today’s New York Times, as they appear in that paper’s morning email:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4tOBTBUW75LsEKnjb1xl

So much error packed into a single subhed! First, Trump has “acolytes,” meaning that he is a religious or cult leader. Did Barack Obama, Joe Biden or Kamala Harris ever have “acolytes”? Of course not. Second, how has Trump “purged” the GOP? Has someone been kicked out of the party? Not that I know of.

And finally, what is the basis for saying that Trump has made the GOP “smaller and more strident”? In fact, according to Gallup, more people now identify themselves as Republicans than as Democrats, for the first time since, at least, 1992. In reality, of course, what has the Times on the edge of hysteria is that Trump has made the GOP larger, not smaller, so that he is currently favored to win the presidency, while Republicans are almost certain to take control of the Senate and are likely to retain their majority in the House. Shrinkage like this, we need more of.

And as for stridency, the Times should look in the mirror.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrOcT9wC8iROv8LtmXOz9

(Snip)

David Brooks, the Times’ house “conservative,” can’t understand why Kamala Harris isn’t a runaway winner. *Well, I am an actual conservative, and I don’t understand how in the Hell anyone could possibly vote for her.

The 50/50 split we see in our electorate is what happens when something close to one-half of our population knows few actual facts, but gets its information–or misinformation–from news sources that read like they were produced in an alternative universe.

* I've been asking this same question!

1 hour ago, Valin said:
Power Line

John Hinderaker

October 21, 2024

If you wonder how so many people can be blissfully ignorant of what you and I consider basic factual realities, the answer likely is that they are getting their information, not just from sources that disagree with us, but that seem to be living in another galaxy. Take, for example, the stories highlighted in today’s New York Times, as they appear in that paper’s morning email:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4tOBTBUW75LsEKnjb1xl

So much error packed into a single subhed! First, Trump has “acolytes,” meaning that he is a religious or cult leader. Did Barack Obama, Joe Biden or Kamala Harris ever have “acolytes”? Of course not. Second, how has Trump “purged” the GOP? Has someone been kicked out of the party? Not that I know of.

And finally, what is the basis for saying that Trump has made the GOP “smaller and more strident”? In fact, according to Gallup, more people now identify themselves as Republicans than as Democrats, for the first time since, at least, 1992. In reality, of course, what has the Times on the edge of hysteria is that Trump has made the GOP larger, not smaller, so that he is currently favored to win the presidency, while Republicans are almost certain to take control of the Senate and are likely to retain their majority in the House. Shrinkage like this, we need more of.

And as for stridency, the Times should look in the mirror.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrOcT9wC8iROv8LtmXOz9

(Snip)

David Brooks, the Times’ house “conservative,” can’t understand why Kamala Harris isn’t a runaway winner. *Well, I am an actual conservative, and I don’t understand how in the Hell anyone could possibly vote for her.

The 50/50 split we see in our electorate is what happens when something close to one-half of our population knows few actual facts, but gets its information–or misinformation–from news sources that read like they were produced in an alternative universe.

* I've been asking this same question!

You know those college kids that they interview on the street that are dumber than a rock? They have now become 'journalists'.