How Pittsburgh’s Suburbs Could Flip Pennsylvania to Trump

Geee

Real Clear Pennsylvania

While national attention fixates on Philadelphia's vote-rich suburbs, a quieter yet potentially far more decisive transformation is unfolding in the communities surrounding Pittsburgh. This shift in southwestern Pennsylvania's political landscape could provide Republicans with the slim margin needed to flip the Keystone State in 2024.

The story here isn’t about Pittsburgh proper, whose eds-and-meds smoke-and-mirrors renaissance and progressive tilt are reasonably well-documented. Instead, the focus lies on subdivision-spawned places like Cranberry Township to the north, the bedroom communities of southern Butler County, and the once-solid Rust Belt Democrat precincts of Washington County to the south. These areas, many of which have been reliable parts of the Democratic coalition since the time of the New Deal, are trending Republican in ways that should alarm party strategists.

This oversight is partly understandable – the Philadelphia metro area is significantly larger (6.3 million people as opposed to Pittsburgh’s 2.37 million), richer, and several hours closer to major media markets. But it’s a mistake that could lead to how-could-it-happen-here headlines on election night if the GOP secures a win on the back of southwestern Pennsylvania's suburban voters.:snip:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valin said:

@Geee

When I was on the factory floor, I was one of the few Republicans. I suspect that would be different these days.

Well, it is interesting how things can turn on a dime sometimes. When we were in business, many fellow business owners who were Dems voted Republican during the Carter years and thanks to Reagan they stayed that way.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Valin said:

@Geee

When I was on the factory floor, I was one of the few Republicans. I suspect that would be different these days.

Just now, Geee said:

Well, it is interesting how things can turn on a dime sometimes. When we were in business, many fellow business owners who were Dems voted Republican during the Carter years and thanks to Reagan they stayed that way.

The question is Will this just be Trump, or will the realignment last?

• Like 1