The Free Press TGIF

Valin

The Free Press

Bed-Stuy czar: While everyone fights about whether or not Kamala is technically the border czar, my eyes are on Ella Emhoff, Kamala’s stepdaughter and the first lady of Brooklyn. Ella runs a knitting club, raises money for UNRWA, and is covered in tiny tattoos. She has a mustache tote bag boyfriend and was charged with stemming the surge of natural wine from Ridgewood to Bushwick. If Kamala wins, I pray she collages a bedroom door in the East Wing with Calvin Klein underwear ads and that she blasts Neutral Milk Hotel from the Truman balcony. You can imagine Kamala going, “Honey, I know I’m not your mom, but do we think it’s possible that your Diesel micro-mini skirt might be a tad short for a state dinner? Should we call your dad and ask?” Long Live America’s First Stepdaughter! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

c318c7ec-4df4-427e-87df-f97a10b06a40_e88

Talk about Glamor!

The DEI isn’t happening. But if it is happening, that’s great! In the days since Kamala Harris emerged as the Democrats’ savior, some Republicans have described her as a “DEI vice president,” suggesting that Joe Biden picked her for the job because of her gender and race. The Washington Post describes these as “attacks over the race and gender of the first Black and South Asian woman to serve as vice president.” And while House Speaker Mike Johnson is probably right to warn fellow Republicans that this may not be the most productive way to take on Harris, race and gender really were part of why Harris was selected. Or at least that’s what Joe Biden said.

Biden picked Kamala to be his running mate after promising to pick a woman before he had even won the nomination. Back in May, Biden said, “To me, the values of diversity, equality, inclusion are literally. . . the core strengths of America. That’s why I’m proud to have the most diverse administration in history that taps into the full talents of our country. And it starts at the top, with the Vice President.” Harris herself had no problem with drawing the connection between her role and DEI. “They’re trying to suggest that it is somehow wrong to talk about DEI. . . that it is somehow wrong to talk about the fact that when you look at, for example, the fact that I’m the first woman of color to be Vice President of the United States. . . that the piece about diversity is somehow not important,” said Harris last October. (Credit to Chris Rufo for digging up these comments.) 

1721667795250.jpg

The Whitest Black Woman In The Country.