Trump VP speculations abound, but who else will fill a second administration?

Geee

Just the News

With presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump expected to end speculation in the coming days about who'll be his running mate, another popular American parlor game – who might fill cabinet posts and other top administration positions – is now emerging. 

Should Trump return to the White House, some cabinet members from his first administration could resume their posts.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin was among the few who served the entire first term and in March suggested he was open to returning to the job. 

“I have seen him recently and given him a bunch of views on the economy and some strategy issues,” Mnuchin said, according to Business Insider. “If the president called me up down the road, of course I would have to take that call and consider it, but it’s my current focus to build out this business.”

Trump has further maintained strong relations with former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson since leaving the White House. The Republican Party’s embrace of a Trump-driven platform with an entire chapter dedicated to cost of living, moreover, suggests that Trump’s choice of HUD secretary may play a pivotal role in the next administration.

Vice President

Trump has kept his choice of running mate close to the vest, and it remains unclear when he plans to announce his selection, though Trump campaign senior adviser Jason Miller said this week "we will know" by Monday.

Among the apparent finalists for the post are Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, and Ohio Sen. J.D. Vance. But Trump’s latest comments suggest he has reservations about the first two.

Of concern to Trump are Burgum’s signing of a strict abortion ban in North Dakota and Rubio’s status as the senator from Florida, where Trump resides.

"You know, I think Doug is great. But it is a strong – he’s taken a very strong stance. Or the state has, I don’t know if it’s Doug, but the state has, so it’s an issue," Trump said of abortion ban.

Rubio’s home state “makes it more complicated” for Trump to pick him, he also said.:snip: