Farewell, Catturd? Nikki Haley Proposes Ban On Anonymous Social Media Accounts

Geee

Daily Caller

Former ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said Tuesday that she favored requiring social media accounts to be verified by a person’s name.

Haley clashed with businessman and fellow Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy over social media multiple times, including a testy exchange during Wednesday’s Republican presidential debate after Ramaswamy mentioned that Haley’s daughter used TikTok. Several popular Twitter accounts, including Catturd and LibsofTikTok are or had been anonymous.

“Antisemitism was always bubbling underneath the surface but now we’re seeing this massive exaggeration of it, but no one is talking about why,” Haley said during a voter forum on “The Faulkner Focus.” “The truth is, if you look at social media, the misinformation and the dramatic sides of social media are instigating this. It is being pushed by Russia, China, Iran and North Korea.”

“When I get into office, the first thing we have to do, social media companies have to show America their algorithms, let us see why they’re pushing what they’re pushing,” Haley added. “The second thing, every person on social media should be verified by their name. First of all, that’s a national security threat. When you do that, people have to stand by what they say and it gets rid of the Russian bots, the Iranian bots and the Chinese bots, and then you’re going to get some civility when people know their name is next to what they say.”:snip:

And With That Remark, Nikki Haley Just Went Full Totalitarian Matt Vespa Matt Vespa  |

:snip:Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, a hopeless 2024 candidate, suggested a new protocol that is downright Orwellian. It also might not be legal. For starters, she wants everyone on social media to be verified; no anonymous accounts can be permitted to use these platforms. She bypasses the legal debate by saying this is a national security issue. :snip:

3 hours ago, Geee said:
Daily Caller

1When I get into office, the first thing we have to do, social media companies have to show America their algorithms, let us see why they’re pushing what they’re pushing,” Haley added. 2“The second thing, every person on social media should be verified by their name. First of all, that’s a national security threat. When you do that, people have to stand by what they say and it gets rid of the Russian bots, the Iranian bots and the Chinese bots, and then you’re going to get some civility when people know their name is next to what they say.”:snip:

1. Knee jerk reaction... I Like It!  2. Something I've notice is people will say things online to someone  they would never say n person. As for National Security (and I  take a backseat to no one over my concern about national security) I Strongly suspect the alphabet agencies cane find  anyone who Is a Real National Security threat. The problem is :Who Watches The Watchers?

As for Matt Vespa Hyperbole Much?

@Geee

Looks like Nikki Stepped  in it

Nikki Haley's dangerous idea
Byron York, Chief Political Correspondent
November 15, 2023

(Snip)

On Tuesday, though, Haley committed a big unforced error that has given her opponents new ammunition to use against her. Or maybe it wasn't an error, and Haley simply revealed views that a significant number of voters will find troubling. In any case, Haley has created a new controversy for herself.

(Snip)

It was a stunningly broad, even draconian, answer to a specific question. There seems little doubt that the major social media companies could do more to ban the most virulently antisemitic speech, particularly when that speech, as Haley and the questioner noted, includes threats of violence. But from that, Haley moved to her intention to ban anonymous content on social media in the name of addressing a "national security threat" and to promote "civility."

It's a bad idea. "Anonymous speech really is fundamental to the history of the United States," law professor Jeff Kosseff said in an article published by Freedom Forum. "In fact, many arguments for independence during the colonial era were made anonymously or pseudonymously — with a pen name. So were arguments in support of the Constitution while it was being drafted." The most famous of those, of course, was the Federalist Papers, which James Madison, Andrew Hamilton, and John Jay published under the pen name "Publius."

(Snip)

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Nikki Haley blasted for plan to make social media "verified" by name

Erin Doherty

Nov. 15 2023

(Snip)

Zoom in: Haley's GOP presidential rivals including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy slammed her social media proposal.

• DeSantis called the plan "dangerous and unconstitutional" and said that it would be "dead on arrival" in his administration.
  • "You know who were anonymous writers back in the day? Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, and James Madison when they wrote the Federalist Papers," DeSantis wrote on the social media platform X.

(Snip)

1 hour ago, Valin said:

Looks like Nikki Stepped  in it

Pretty much. I think this will push her back quite a bit IMHO. I think she knows to was a bad call, since I read she is already back tracking.

3 minutes ago, Geee said:

Pretty much. I think this will push her back quite a bit IMHO. I think she knows to was a bad call, since I read she is already back tracking.

Does she pay attention to what Republicans think about giving Government  More power? 

To quote some skinny old wise ass " I Strongly suspect the alphabet agencies cane find  anyone who Is a Real National Security threat. The problem is :Who Watches The Watchers?"

• Like 1