Everything you need to know about Tim Scott ahead of his big 2024 announcement

Valin

The Washington Examiner

Haisten Willis, White House Reporter
May 22, 2023

Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) is announcing his presidential run Monday, adding his name to the expanding GOP field for 2024.

Scott has been in the Senate for over a decade, yet his campaign is considered a major long shot, with the RealClearPolitics polling average showing his support at just 2%.

For those who are curious to learn more about Scott as he seeks the nation's highest office, here are a few helpful facts.

He's focused on the positive

Scott, 57, launched a presidential exploratory committee in April and released a video heavy on themes of faith and unity.

“I know America is a land of opportunity, not a land of oppression," he says in the three-minute clip. "I know it because I’ve lived it. That’s why it pains my soul to see the Biden liberals attacking every rung of the ladder that helped me climb.”

That optimism and the positive role the United States plays in the world are big themes for Scott as he seeks to embellish an image of himself on the electorate ahead of the debates.

(Snip)

He's got plenty of cash on hand

Scott is going to enter the race with about $22 million cash on hand, according to his political operation. He'll begin spending that with a major advertising buy of $5.5 million in television ads to run in Iowa and New Hampshire.

He has raised $42 million for Republicans over the past two years, and political operatives close to Scott have said the coming ad buy will cost more than some candidates will raise during the entire 2024 election cycle.

He's also picked up his first Senate endorsement from Sen. Mike Rounds (R-SD), an early bit of momentum he'll hope to build on over the summer.

Scott will take the next step in his campaign Monday in North Charleston, the same city he was born in and where he got his start in politics.

From there, he will travel to Iowa on Wednesday and New Hampshire on Thursday as he seeks to get the campaign off the ground.