Meanwhile, Who’s Advocating for the Rest of Us?

Geee

meanwhile_whos_advocating_for_the_rest_of_us_147452.html
Real Clear Politics

Epiphanies happen in the strangest places. I had one the other day while watching MSNBC. Go figure!

Now, before you jump to conclusions and suppose that I was enlightened about how white people like me are all racists or that parents like me are all dangerous terrorists, sorry to disappoint.

It wasn’t even that Donald Trump is trying to “overthrow democracy” by working to make sure that only legal votes are counted. It’s not even that some people entered the Capitol illegally on Jan. 6, 2021, because they were convinced that Democrats were trying to overthrow democracy. Of course, we all know that Democrats would never try to overthrow democracy. They are too busy trying to overthrow Republicans.

But none of those things would count as an epiphany at this point anyway, because they are drilled into our heads almost every moment we are tuned in to CNN or MSNBC. An epiphany, in case you’ve forgotten your Sunday school lessons or high school literature class, is a sudden revelation or, as Merriam-Webster defines it, “an intuitive grasp of reality through something (such as an event) usually simple and striking.”

This moment on MSNBC was indeed simple, a mundane conversation between host Hallie Jackson and reporter Julia Ainsley about the Biden administration’s plan to lift Title 42 restrictions on immigration at the end of May, and which gave me a bracing insight into just what’s wrong with our country today.

Title 42 is the public health rule invoked by the Trump administration that allowed U.S. border officials to deport illegal immigrants as a means of controlling the spread of COVID-19. The Biden administration has allowed Title 42 to remain in place, and more than 1.7 million border crossers have been sent back during the two administrations.

It does seem odd that Biden has continued the use of Title 42, and we should be grateful, because nearly all of his border policies up till now have been geared toward encouraging illegal immigration. Indeed, the giant sucking sound on the southern border is no longer the sound of jobs going to Mexico, as Ross Perot imagined 30 years ago, but rather the whoosh of hundreds of thousands of foreign citizens being swept into our country by Biden’s welcoming hands.:snip:

@Geee

Instead of working for the common good, the advocacy community toils tirelessly to promote the rights of the few. This seems like a noble goal – until you ask who will advocate for the rest of us. Who will speak for society as a whole when we are torn into a thousand minorities?

When I hear/see someone talking about The (any damn thing) Community, Alarm bells go off in my head. Its not unlike a Degree in(any damn thing) Studies.